Monday, August 1, 2011

The Wednesday Surprise by Eve Bunting

Summary from the publisher:

Anna and Grandma are planning a surprise for Dad's birthday. Dad thinks he has received all his presents, but Grandma stands up and gives him the best one of all: she reads aloud the stories that Anna has taught her.




Okay, I'll admit it.  I'm cheating a little bit today (and most likely this whole week while my family is on vacation).  This isn't a new book to me.  I've read it dozens of times.  But it's one of my favorites and if teachers aren't familiar with it, they need to be.  So, I'm bringing it to you.  This is a sweet story of the joy young and older generations can share with each other.  But it also brings the joy of literacy and lesson about it in the story as well.  Eve Bunting books always tug at my heart and can usually bring a tear to my eye the first few times I read them.  This one did just that as you get to the end of the story and realize what has happened.  This is such a sweet story that I love to share with my students at the beginning of the year  or at the start of book clubs to talk about the importance of sharing stories together.  A must read and a must have for every classroom library.

No comments:

Post a Comment