Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

The Junkyard WondersSummary from the publisher:

When young Trisha finds out her class at the new school is known as "The Junkyard," she is devastated.  She moved from her old town so she wouldn't be in a special class anymore!  But then she meets her teacher, the quirky and invincible Mrs. Peterson, and her classmates, an oddly brilliant group of students each with his or her own unique talent.  And it is here, in The Junkyard, that Trisha learns the true meaning of genius, and that this group of misfits are, in fact, wonders, all of them.  Based on a real-life event in Patricia Polacco's childhood, this ode to teachers will inspire all readers to find their inner genius.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely adore Patricia Polacco and all of her books.  I heard her speak at the Michigan Reading Association Conference in Detroit last year and was moved to tears.  She is an incredible storyteller and has the kindest, most gentle heart.  These traits translate into each and every one of her stories.  I don't think that I could choose just one to call my favorite.

This was my most recent find because it is one of her newest additions.  In typical Polacco fashion, she has chosen to write about herself in a personal narrative.  In this story, she again tells a story of her struggles with learning disorders as a child and what she learns along the way through the help of an extraordinary teacher (similar to Thank You, Mr. Falker).  She has managed to bring tears to my eyes in yet another story through the characters and emotions she shares throughout the entire book.

The Junkyard Wonders would not only be a great book to use when teaching about acceptance and understanding of difference, but it would also be a great book to use with teachers.  As a teacher, I began to think about each of my students, especially since the students I work with each have struggles in the area of reading.  How could I help them to read their full potential in a unique way and allow them to see that they are awesome just the way they are?




No comments:

Post a Comment